Monday, May 3, 2010

Cabin--- bathroom floor

Logan helping with the wood putty process, he thought it was fun for about 5 minutes, and then decided chopping down a tree outside with a hatchet was more fun then helping mom.

after the stain was applied...see how great it matches at the threshold of the door.




I brought up a footstool for Carter to paint, I bought it off KSL.com for $3. He got bored halfway through too, and went out to help Logan chop down the small dead tree.



So...the cabin has amazing wood floors throughout, except the bathroom (I thought). They had a subfloor nailed on top of them and then nasty disingreating peel and stick tiles on top of that. I started tearing up the tiles, so that we could lay REAL tile. Just as I was finishing that nasty job, I asked my husband if the wood floors continued under the subfloor, because I couldn't see where they ended. He said "probably". So then I started tearing up the subfloor and there they were...a little rough, but they were there.


Just a side note...this discovery of the wood was after we spent $200 on tile and hauled it all up to the cabin in a sled behind the 4 wheeler and carried them up the steep driveway and 26 steps.


My husband still thought we should tile...because refinishing the wood floors would be alot of work...so I told him, "Well I'll do it then". For the record he DID let me do it ALL by MYSELF. But I guess I also let him haul all the tile back down on the sled by himself.
First I had to wood putty all the cracks, I talked Logan into helping for part of that. I had to do it twice, because when it dried it shrunk and some of the cracks were 1/4" thick.
Second I had to sand FOREVER...my mom let me borrow a belt sander that took all my strength to keep it from getting away from me. My whole body was sore the next day.
Third I had to apply a wood conditioner, so the stain would apply evenly.
Fourth I had to stain the wood (that was easy and fast). I actually got it to match the original color outside the door pretty well.
Fifth I had to apply 3 coats of floor grade polyeurethene... that required 3-6 hours of drying time in between each coat.
Finally now the floors are done!!! Now we can set the toilet and take off the rest of the nasty wood paneling on the walls. We are going to put up beadboard.
Heber is up there today clearing away more brush, and might start diggging up the water line so we can fix it and get the water on. My dad is coming up this week to help replace 3 windows on the main level to 48"x48" windows instead of the small 24"x24" windows that let in hardly any light and you can't see any of the fabulous view.
Oh yesterday we got to drive ALL the way up to the cabin, the snow has finally melted off the road and driveway. This is the first time we have had access since January when we got stuck and had to dig the car out for 2.5 hrs with the kids.

3 comments:

Pine Tree Home said...

Starting to look real good. I bet your were asking your self WHY when you were sanding, but it was so worth it.

inkley boys said...

wow with all your doing you are fixing up a cabin sounds fun! ok I decieded that i like the knife pleats going the same way so cute. thanks

Becky said...

I love the bathroom floor! Your hard work paid off.