Friday, December 10, 2010

Holiday pillows for my front room

 So I decided to get into the holiday spirit, I decided to make some new pillows for the front room. IT's all about the pillows...that's what I always tell my clients, you can completely change your whole look with just the pillows. That's why I like to keep neutral slipcovers and then when I am itching for a change, I make new pillows.


I found a quilt that my dad gave to me 13 years ago when I got married. It was made by his grandma Hamilton, a pioneer quilt. I thought it worked great with what I was doing, so I draped it over the back of the loveseat.
My little guy really wanted to be in a picture...he even smiled for me.





Close up of great grandma's quilt. I made the red pillow with 2" strips of bias (fabric cut on the diagonal) and sewed ten rows across and gathered it as I went. I love ruffling bias, because you don't need to hem the edges. I decided to sew the ruffles on with tan thread instead of red to make it a little more rustic.





I was kind of feeling the menswear, and I had a small scrap of this brown houndstooth to make a rectangle pillow. I love to mix masculine with a little bit of feminine...something a little unexpected. The white pillow is made out of a white linen napkin that I sewed burlap strapping down the center and then I decided to ruffle some 2" brown bias down it to tie in the brown and darker colors. I backed it with a bold brown/red stripe, so I can flip it if I choose to mix it up a bit. You can see the back of it a few pics up.



 I always joke that the reason I like ruffles so much is because I have three boys. I can't put them in ruffles, so I wear ruffles and decorate with ruffles.


Photobucket









10 comments:

Lyndee W. said...

Adorable! I love LOVE the red ruffle pillows. Great idea! I need me some in chocolate brown.

Pine Tree Home said...

What a great change for the season.

Comeca Jones said...

My mind is really swirlin on the idea you just gave me. Im gonna make a duvet of quilted squares made with mens suits from the thrift store. See how we inspire each other here in blog land.Love love love the red ruffled pillow!I will be back.

Unknown said...

How Beautiful. I do love the combinations, menswear, ruffles, red, etc. I want to make one of those ruffle pillows, it is just beautiful. And I love the "fake" fireplace. Your son is adorable also! Merry Christmas

Ali Richardson said...

REALLY pretty! I love the before AND the after :)

Kristi~The Slipcover Girl said...

i'm going to come steal that red ruffle pillow! love it!

Amy at Ameroonie Designs said...

Thanks for the tip on sewing with bias! I'm excited to make some of these ruffle pillows for myself!

Elizabeth said...

I'm making some pillows this week too! So fun. Love the ruffles :) Would love for you to visit me at Sew Chatty and link up to Made with Love Monday! The party will be open until Friday if you want to link up multiple projects. Hope you have a great day! http://sewchatty.blogspot.com

Andy Porter said...

What a great combination! I love the ruffles!

kristen said...

do you have a tutorial for the ruffles pillow..? Would love to make one. (or a link to how you did it?)