Last weekend we headed up to our cabin in Midway, UT to reroof it. We bought the cabin 1 1/2 yrs ago and have slowly worked on projects to "fix" it up. We got it for a screaming deal of $65,000. So we were ok with all the work it was going to need.
We put the roof off last year because it wasn't leaking yet. Well this spring it started to leak in a few spots with the melting snow. So it became a priority for this year. A few months ago, I started looking for shingles on KSL.com (local online classifieds). We needed about 750 square ft of shingles....retail for this amount of shingles was about $800. I got what I needed for $400 off KSL.com. I had to match two different shingles to get enough, but you have to look really hard to tell. When it was all said and done, we had half a bundle of shingles left!
See how old those shingles were???
We pushed all the shingles off the egde for the boys to pick up and load in the sled. Once they loaded the sled they hauled it down to the trailer and dumped it. You can see the black sled in the foreground of the picture.
Once the shingles were stripped, Heber made a run to Home Depot to buy plywood, nails, tar paper, flashing, etc. While he did this I stripped all the tar paper and pulled all the nails from the whole roof. Let's just say I was really ready for bed that night.
We had to replace 5 sheets of plywood...their was some water damage and dry rot to some of the pieces. Here's Logan sitting on the top of the ladder. I told them no kids were allowed on the roof. They got as close as they could.
Here's Carter checking out the progress from the ladder too.
It took us about 30 minutes in a hot dirty enclosed trailer to get all the shingles out. I could feel sweat dripping everywhere. I was pretty proud of myself. I was a little intimidated, but I did it.
Here's the new roof in the light the next day. Total we spent about $750 to reroof the cabin....not too bad.