Friday, April 5, 2013

Party Dress--Sewing Contest



                                                           


I entered a sewing contest and made the top 12! This week's project was kids clothes....here's my project! Click here and head on over and vote!





Shelley from Slipcovers by Shelley


PARTY DRESS
I have 3 boys and no girls...so when my sister asked me to make a "birthday party dress" for her girl, I jumped at the chance! I rummaged through my stash and used the bodice pattern from "NEW LOOK #6309 pattern". I wanted to utilize the ribbon-like selvage from my floral taffeta fabric scraps. My scraps weren't wide enough, so I pieced the bodice with a scrap of selvage seamed in down the center front. I then utilized the same long scraps with selvage on one edge and created a triple tiered gathered skirt (bonus...I didn't have to hem the ruffles). I had some other upholstery weight fabric that coordinated, and couldn't resist.... I sewed a jacket from the same pattern...I topstitched the collar and around the facing to give it a more finished look.










Photobucket Photobucket

6 comments:

Falafel and the Bee said...

You did a beautiful job!
~Michelle

Magda said...

Your dress is just wonderful and the coat the perfect match to finish it! Congratulations!

RaeAnna Goss said...

Beautiful!!! I love the luxurious look that the fabric gives her outfit!

Ann said...

Just beautiful! Those two fabrics are amazing together. Your niece must be delighted!

nest full of eggs said...

so lovely ~ what luxurious fabrics !

Stephanie said...

It's a really lovely, sophisticated look.
It's always nice when you can skip hemming and still have it look good :)