Friday, April 12, 2013

Sewing Contest Week #2---Orange Zebra Chair


WEEK #2 of sewing contest (For the Home). Click here to vote for your 2 favorite projects!

MY PROJECT!
My client got this hand me down chair from her husbands aunt. It's been sitting in the corner of her basement.

    
Chair--BEFORE--a bit dated and stained.

Chair--AFTER-- She picked this great orange zebra fabric and some turquoise fabric for pillows.




We thought it would be best to keep the legs showing...since the fabric felt more modern and funky. She may paint the legs turquoise. I loved that they had the little brass caps on them.

 The chair didn't allow for tuck-ins inside the wing...so I decided to run piping down that seam to finish it off.






Since my client was worried about the slipcover shifting and showing underneath--especially since we weren't doing a skirt. I did a 1.5" casing around the base and cinched it tight with a cord and tied it around the back leg. This way it won't go anywhere, which is good because the original fabric is slippery.

DON'T FORGET TO VOTE!

Photobucket Photobucket

9 comments:

Renae said...

O.K. this chair is completely awesome! I have some green zebra print that I am planning on using for this exact style of chair. This motivates me to get it done. Can't wait for my funky chair!

Stephanie said...

Beautiful! You definitely made the world a better place by hiding that pink satin lol

catpal52 said...

Shelley, once again you have done an amazing job. And I would definitely paint the legs turquoise if that were my chair!

Price Style & Design said...

Beautiful job! I love that fabric! It makes such a statement! Fun!

Sheree said...

I am trying to vote and I keep getting an error message. Love this chair!!!

Stef said...

I think this chair is just awesome!! I've been looking for two similar chairs and have wanted to put zebra print on them - probably not orange because I'm not cool enough for that, but LOVE LOVE how it turned out!

Cyndi said...

Looks Great!!

Cyndi said...

Looks Great!!

Unknown said...

Love it! What type of material is the Zebra Fabric?