I used this owl pattern that was for a pillow, but I just used the front side of it and appliqued it onto the blanket. Since the edge was curvy I cut out an owl shape out of muslin and sewed right sides together all the way around. Then I cut a horizontal 3-4" slit in the middle of the muslin and flipped the whole thing right side out. That way there are clean edges all the way around and I didn't have to struggle to get the edge to turn under.
I cut open the two satin pillow cases that were grandma and pieced them together to make the back of the blanket. I decided to do a 1"ruffle around the edge out of some scrap fabric I had kicking around that I almost threw out.
Side Note #1--
Last weekend we took the boys up to the cabin for the weekend...we had two beautiful days of 65-70 degree weather. We didn't even have to start the fire when we got there. All 4 feet of snow had melted from the deck, since the last time we were there. There's still of TON of snow there.
Even though it was this beautiful, I snuck down to my favorite thrift store and found a pair of Joe's Jeans for $3!!!! Then I brought back stuff for smores in the fireplace.
All the snow on the road is starting to melt, so the boys had a blast playing in the slushy dirty run off. Carter was trying to tell me that it was "fresh" water and would dip his hand in it and suck it off.- Side note #2-- Sausha at Show and Tell showed off her new slipcovers that I made for her in December.