Friday, December 17, 2010

red/cream slipcovers

 My client picked these items up from a yard sale... $30 each for the chairs and $100 for the couch. They had attatched cushions on the back, so I cut those off and covered them separately.  She was able to find the cream jaguard/matelesse fabric at Home Fabrics for $6/yd. It was beautiful to work with.




She used red denim for the couch. We made arm pads for everything to help with the wear. When I make arm pads I put piping in them along the front to make them look like part of the chair.


I thought these were perfect for the holiday season. She was still going to make some throw pillows to pull it all together.


Here is a close up to show the cream fabric. It washed up well.


I saw this dog pillow in one of her other rooms and loved it, so I threw it on the chair. It's wool hook looped. I thought it went well with all her new slipcovers.

Here's the ottoman as well. Yard sale finds can be great!

Photobucket

2 comments:

Del said...

Beautiful in red. I'm making white canvas clipcovers right now. Challenge = the fabric puckers as I'm sewing...any ideas what the problem is? I've adjusted the tension, but it is like the fabric is "growing" as I sew. Got the fabric from Nancy's Notions, so good fabric. Not sure what cutting "on the bias" is, does that have anything to do w/it?

Slipcovers by Shelley said...

Your top layer always tends to "grow" because of the pressure of the presser foot on the fabric...there's a knob on the top of the machine that can decrease the pressure of the presser foot. Even then... I still try to hold the fabric in front of the foot and behind the foot at the same time and gently pull it through as I sew, which helps eliminate some of the "growing".